Saturday 14 September 2013

Technicolour dreams

I finally got around to finishing the binding on Joseph, and today was actually sunny so I managed to get some pictures outside.  Although by the time I'd finished gardening (digging up the onions and garlic) and tidied up, the sun was low in the sky so there's some interesting shadows going on!

This is a jelly roll of Moda's Eat Your Fruits and Veggies batiks, sewn together in a very simple strip quilt.  I used the whole jelly roll and the quilt ended up being 61'' x 51''.



I quilted it with brightly coloured variegated thread, and the spiral was kinda free motion - I had my walking foot on the machine with the guide bar but I ended up doing it by eye, and the lines are 2.5 to 3'' apart.  The start was a bit wonky, but I'm not fussed about that as it was a first attempt!




The back of the quilt has a pieced star (one inside the other, I'm sure that has a name but I don't know what it is!) and all the fabrics are from the bargain bins at Abakhan.  I used the mottled black fabric seen here framing the start, as the binding as well.




I love how it's turned out - loud and vibrant with no subtlety!  And it's just the right size for curling up on the sofa on a dark winter night....




2 comments:

  1. That's just fab - I love the last pic! The spiral quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine! I do love the way the spiral interacts with the strips (if I do say so myself!)

    ReplyDelete