Wednesday 21 August 2013

The walls are closing in

The cold that started when I went to FOQ is still hanging around.  I've been really careful too. No running. No cycling. Very little gardening. Bored of it now.

The upside is that I've done loads of sewing! The Snowy Owl quilt is finished (no photos yet so there'll probably be another post sometime).  I really love how the quilting turned out, even though it was frustrating how long it took.

And all the fabric I bought at FOQ is cut into lots of little triangles.  I don't know why I decided to do 4'' ones - I should have gone bigger (less cutting/sewing).


It does look really cool though, don't you think?  I did leave it out for a while like this, and when I walked back into the room I thought 'wow that's brill I want to keep it'!!! But it's already planned as a gift for a new arrival.  It just needs a name - I'm thinking 'Mariana' (the parents of the recipient have an environmental scientist/geology background).


Following the success of my Miette skirt and Victoria blazer, I've started my Mathilde blouse - another pattern from Tilly.  The fabric is a really lightweight mix that was a £2 or £3 per metre from Abakhan, unfortunately I didn't make any further notes about what it was exactly.  It's very light and slippery so a bit more of a challenge to sew than my usual cotton fabric choice.  I was very careful cutting out as it was so slippery and it seems to fit together OK so I've done something right.  I was really worried that the fabric would move while I was cutting it and I'd end up with pattern pieces completely out of shape! 

The other thing I was worried about were the tucks where the front piece meets the yoke but Tilly gives loads of useful tips on her blog, so I think they've turned out really well....


The final thing I've been working on is my first ever blog swap! I signed up for Sweet Pouch Swap hosted by Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts.  The idea is really simple - make a pouch (zipped, drawstring, whatever you like), fill it with sweets and send it to your swap partner.  Here's a sneak peak of mine, with fabrics from my (very small) scrap stash...



 So there we go.

And I have WIP's and it's Wednesday.  So I'm linking up.....

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through WIP Wednesday. I love your little 4" triangles. They really pop! I think sometimes you lose that wow factor when they get too big. Sure it's more work, but worth it in the end, right?! Can't wait to see it when it's completed; so I'm following with Bloglovin' now. And I think Mariana is a great name! It's my Mom's name!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those blue triangles! It is going to be such a pretty quilt! And what a fun idea for a swap! I will have to look into it for the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great work, here.
    The quilt looks bright and lively. I love all the different patterns and colours butting up against each other.
    The blouse is going to be so pretty. Personally, I think it looks great without the sleeves.
    The pouch swap seems like such a great idea. Your swap partner is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete