Sunday 18 August 2013

Tenth

The force is strong in this one....

Blanket stitch quilting? Gotta try it.

Rrrraaaah.... In your face colour

Nice idea

How much patience?? Each cushion is 2''x2''

Clever (gauze, pods and shadows)

I want to know how to do the 3D flags on top of quilt thing...


Art

I went to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham last week. I was on call so couldn't go at the weekend, and so took the day off work to go on the Thursday - the on call meaning I couldn't get there too early or get back too late.

It was huge! I was really surprised how much there was there - as well as the trade stands, there were artist galleries and a big competition. So there were lot of things to see and take pictures of.  I was really impressed but the variety of fabric art there - not just patchwork.  I wandered around the trade stands in the morning and kind of ran out of steam by the time I got the look at the quilts so I don't have that many pictures - and I was a bit rubbish at collecting the title/artist for them.  Next time I go I'll know what to expect and be a bit more organised (and hopefully not have an evil cold), I quite fancy trying one or two of the workshops they have running during the show as well.

It was all really busy around the trade stands and apparently that was the quiet day so I hate to think what it would be like that the weekend.  I was really good and employed the same technique as I do for gardening shows - taking a pot of cash and only spending that.  I did have a few things on the list to get though - blue/green fabric for a new baby quilt, and a couple of templates (EQ Triangle, and Dresden wedge).  Managed to get a good deal on the fabric - 13 FQ's for £20, and the only extra thing I got was a pack of 1/8ths of Japanese fabric - thinking I might make some table mats with fans on them (now I have the wedge ruler!).

1 comment:

  1. That Tenth Doctor quilt is amazing, and the bottom one. Sounds like it was a great day.

    ReplyDelete